My neighbor found this metal tool in a box from his father’s workshop.

weird tool

It's a cube with all sorts and sizes of circles and half spheres on every edge.

What is it?


Die for creating sheetmetal hemispheres. There should be a set of punches with round ball ends somewhere in that mix, unless someone misused them for something else or lost them.

Doming Block and Punch Set is one term for the tool set. The die is also called a dapping block. You can find them at jewelry tool suppliers.

  • That’s the one! +1 for a specific product name I could look up. – Zev Eisenberg Jul 20 '14 at 18:26

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.