I live in a house built in the early 1900's. The dining room, which is in the center of the house, sags enough to where you could set a marble in the middle and it will always roll to one side.

The main beam running the length of the house in the basement has a support jack installed, but is it dangerous or detrimental to the property to have so much sagging in a particular room?

  • Take a look at this question: diy.stackexchange.com/questions/4423/…. I'd get it checked out, but some sagging is normal in older homes. Feb 7 '11 at 15:11
  • You need to find a servery that understands old houses, expect to pay for the advice.
    – Walker
    Feb 13 '11 at 22:23

I had to have a structural engineer take a look at my house before I closed on it. I have a roughly 1" sag in the middle of left half of my house where a pole was removed. According to the structural engineer this would not get any worse and is "safe", aside from any annoyance it causes. Yours may be a different situation, so I'd recommend having someone come out and take a look. I believe mine ran me about $450.00 for the consultation. Money well spent to know I won't fall through my floor at night.


If you own the home, definitely make plans to re-block it. If your renting, pressure the landlord a little bit to get it re-blocked. I wouldn't want to live in a house that could possibly cause accidents because of rotting floor joists.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.