I am doing some plumbing work on a shower that has not been used for several years. It previously had a slow leak that caused a damp spot on the ceiling below.
I noticed a small patch of black mold on some tape at the bottom of some plasterboard (drywall) and noticed blackening of the ends of some timber that supports a sheet of chipboard that supports the shower tray.
I'm honestly not sure if the timber has mold or has been treated in some way. There's no blackening on the adjacent wooden surfaces above and below.
This end of the shower tray support was covered by a length of skirting board (wall baseboard) which has no mold visible on it's inner surface.
My plan is to
- Don goggles and mask.
- Remove the tape.
- Use a Dremel to remove ¼" from the end of the two timber supports.
- Use a mold treatment from What is the recommended way to destroy mold? in the area
Would it be reasonable to remove ¼" from the end of the two timber supports?