We converted a wood stove to a propane fireplace. It's a direct vent but we're only using the exhaust insert. The intake air will come from the interior.

Anyways, as such, we have a gap around the new flue insert and the flue. What kind of insulation can I use to plug up that gap at the bottom to prevent cold air from pouring down in the winter?

1 Answer 1


Mineral or rock wool is what it is called, I believe Roxul is a brand of that. Check its properties to make sure it can handle that kind of heat. It is approved for firestopping in framing of homes.

Here is a video of it's benefits


  • Thanks! Went to the fireplace shop over the weekend and they had something just like this (a ceramic wool).
    – DA01
    Jun 16, 2014 at 22:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.