I am taking a non bearing wall down that has electrical work in it, including a 3 way switch for a single light. I want to disconnect this switch so the other one works. How do I do this?

  • 2
    It depends. Where is the power coming from, and where is the fixture? Jun 12, 2014 at 15:38
  • 1
    Please post photographs of the wiring at each of the switches, and -- if you can trace the wiring -- a schematic of the circuit.
    – Niall C.
    Jun 12, 2014 at 19:06

2 Answers 2


You will have to trace the wires. You can look at How exactly does a 3-way switch work?. You should replace the remaining 3 way with a regular single switch and wire it normally to the light fixture.


It depends. You might be lucky or not, depends on which way the wires go. Note that any any splices in wires must be accessible for future work.

Start with https://diy.stackexchange.com/a/4054/5960 and post some photos.

  • Define "abandon wires in the wall" please - one of the worst things one could do would be to leave hot wires in the wall. Jun 15, 2014 at 12:12
  • Abandoning a traveler in the wall is OK: he has access to both sides. There's not enough detail in the question to really outline the options. The OP has not come back, so there's little incentive to give a full answer.
    – Bryce
    Jun 16, 2014 at 20:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.