I have a rotted hole in one of my exterior house vertical corner trim boards. The rot is about 3 feet up from the bottom of board. Rather than replace the whole 16' board, i just want to cut out a piece and replace it.

How do i cut off a straight section without damaging the siding next to it or the other side's corner board? I can't obviously use a circular saw. I cannot figure out a way.

2 Answers 2


This is a great project for an oscilating multitool.

osc multitool

The front blade (and there are several to choose from) oscilates from side to side in small strokes, allowing a precise cut in both depth and width.

There are corded and cordless models availble in a wide price range. Almost all would suit for your type of project. I think you will also find many other uses for the tool, making it a pretty good DIY investment, even for a beginner.

 Images and links are for illustration only and not an endorsement of any product or source

I agree that the oscillating multitool is the best tool for this situation.

In particular, one of the long narrow blades works well for cutting into a tight spot. You can plunge cut directly into the required spot, without needing hardly any side clearance. It works great.

multitool blade

I bought my multitool from a well-known cheap tool import company for about US$30, and they are even less than that when they go on sale. It would have been worth it for just one job, but I have had no problems and it has continued to work just fine. Easy to find inexpensive models by shopping on-line.

  • Great. I had thought about using that tool but was concerned that my wife wouldn't like me buying another power tool. However, considering i would be saving money on hiring someone, i may just do that. I've seen this tool usd on This Old House a lot.
    – user22998
    Jun 10, 2014 at 15:22
  • You will likely save a lot compared to hiring someone. And if money is tight, they might be available at a tool rental place (I haven't looked).
    – Grunthos
    Jun 10, 2014 at 16:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.