How do I remove this exterior water valve cap? cap

Bonus points for a name!

Update: I cleaned it a bit more: cleaned cap

I attempted to pry it but, I haven't made much progress: pry cap

I also noticed this bolt but I don't think I have a wrench for it. bolt

  • 1
    They look like they could use a special tool, but have you tried digging out the ground around them and just unscrewing them?
    – fluffy
    May 20, 2014 at 23:15
  • Its pretty flimsy. It feels like it might just pop off but it keeps breaking.
    – user21640
    May 21, 2014 at 0:02

1 Answer 1


Careful what you are prying up on, the 5 sided nut is what removes the cast iron top. usually the city only wants a licensed plumber to open these, if not the city plumber only. I refer to it as city since it is not a well. Those plastic items on top may very well be the remote sensor to read the usage for billing. It is just a guess, I have never seen anything like that above/on the cast iron cover. Usually the cover is removed to read the gallons used. but this seems a hi-tech model....

  • Yeah, I'm going to quit messing with it. Thanks for the verification.
    – user21640
    May 21, 2014 at 1:34
  • 2
    Jack is right, don't mess with it. Even though it is on your property, it is owned by the water company and they will hold you responsible if you damage it. The piece you are prying on actually screws on and off with a special wrench. May 21, 2014 at 10:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.