enter image description here

My dad used to have one, you use it as a drill guide/template when fixing electrical sockets, but I cannot find anywhere that sells them, and as I don't know the name Google is not much help!

(Searching on google for "socket drill template" did not find anything useful)

  • 4
    It's called a pattress jig. I couldn't find any sellers in a quick search though.
    – Niall C.
    Jan 24, 2011 at 21:09
  • Wow, what a memory you have. I haven't seen one in years. Never would have remembered the name of that thing. Jan 24, 2011 at 21:42
  • @Niall, thanks please make your comment into an answer so I can accept it, I just found one on ebay cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-Q-Pattress-Jig-CUT-PATTRESS-BOXES-EASILY-NEW-/… as you told me what to search for.
    – Walker
    Jan 24, 2011 at 22:08
  • 2
    I'm curious, how did you manage to find that picture without knowing the name? Someone should make an online tool search engine where you can sketch a picture of a tool/jig/fixture and it tells you what it's called and where to find it. Jan 25, 2011 at 3:57
  • 1
    Ha, this question is already the 3rd result in a google search for "pattress jig". Jan 25, 2011 at 13:58

2 Answers 2


It's called a pattress jig.

B&Q stock them in the UK. However they can only be purchased from a physical store not online, the ean code is 03619377 and the cost is £7.68. (A B&Q store can order one if needed based on the ean code.)

There is also a seller on eBay UK.


The Pattress Jig available from B&Q is not great as using a template made out of plastic with a hammer drill means the template gets warped and damaged easily and doesn't hold straight on the wall.

I found this one on Amazon. Its made from Aluminium. Durable and holds nice and firm. Highly recommended at only £18.


It's made by these guys: http://www.mixengineering.co.uk/

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.