I am in the UK.

I wish to install a socket (possibly a double) in the under stair area of my house. The main consumer unit is based here and also the alarm box. One option would be to get an electrician to put in either a separate circuit (overkill) or split the downstairs ring at the consumer unit to provide a socket there, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

The other potential option is that the alarm is run off a fused spur. Is it acceptable/legal to run a socket off this fused spur? If so, should it be that I run it between the fused connection unit and the alarm or can I run two cables out of the FCU (basically in parallel)?

  • 1
    I have done a bit more reading around and I think this probably isn't the best idea. Primarily as the fused spur is likely to be less than the full 13A I would require for the socket (often alarm spurs are 3A). In all likelihood it will be better to some how add a socket next to the consumer unit on the socket circuit - this is the idea, but I think logistically a bit more tricky due to cables disappearing straight under the floor (CU is only ~1ft off the floor). May 2 '14 at 9:53
  • convert that comment to an answer and I'll upvote you for it :) Jan 26 '15 at 23:56

The easy option is to install a radial circuit straight off the consumer unit, due to changes to the wiring regulations this circuit will need to be protected by a circuit level RCB device. As a alteration to the electrical installation it would also need to be undertaken by a suitably qualified person. and a Minor works certificate issued.

Failure to have a certificate could result in default on your home insurance.

Look for a NICEIC approved electrician who should be able to complete the works within a hour or two.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.