Following from this thread, what would be the best way to "smooth" my wall to hang some blackboard adhesive paper over it?

  • Is this intended to be permanent? The blackboard paper you linked to looks like it is for more temporary uses. It might just be easier to hang a blackboard on the wall.
    – Comintern
    Apr 16, 2014 at 23:15
  • There's also blackboard paint (although most companies call it 'chalkboard paint')
    – Joe
    Apr 16, 2014 at 23:51
  • Oh yes it's just temporary. For 3 months.
    – Jason
    Apr 17, 2014 at 5:34

1 Answer 1


A $15 bucket of drywall compound (mud) and a wide drywall knife, a wall sanding block and some drywall sanding screens. Even as a temporary fix, unless you want to hang up a chalkboard as suggested in the comments, the skim-coat of drywall mud will get the job done as quickly and easily as it can be done. If you'll be doing the work in 3 months, it will also provide hands-on practice that you don't have to care about being "perfect" if you'll be ripping and replacing in 3 months. As suggested in that thread, try sanding off the high points before you start mudding.

Big hint if you haven't done much - do not try to get it perfect in one coat. The secret to quick and easy mudwork is to let it dry, knock off the high points, and recoat to fill the low spots, repeatedly.

  • This is for a temporary apartment. Is the method you've described permanently damaging to the walls?
    – Jason
    Apr 21, 2014 at 2:21
  • The post you referred to spoke of permanently changing the walls. If your application is different, then you need to hang up a blackboard (or a hang up a sheet of tempered hardboard and apply your blackboard paper to that.) If you're going to provide misleading background information and fail to explain how your case is different, the applicability of advice to your question will tend to stink...you appeared to be asking about a 3-month solution until you got around to re-texturing all the walls, not an apartment.
    – Ecnerwal
    Apr 21, 2014 at 2:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.