When my painter took off the door knob of an interior door, he lost the two screws that held the door knob in place. Does anyone happen to know what kind of screws they are? They look like some type of Philips-head machine screws.

  • 4
    Off the top of my head I want to say 8/32 machine screws, but the length is important and can vary by manufacturer. If you have matching hardware on other doors, just pull one of the screws out and take it to the hardware store to find a match. – Comintern Apr 8 '14 at 4:20
  • @Comintern That sounds like an answer to me. Especially the part about taking a similar screw with you to find a replacement. – Tester101 Apr 8 '14 at 9:52
  • Unfortunately both screws were lost. @Comintern: why is the length important? It's OK if the replacement ones are a little shorter than the original one, right? – wsw Apr 8 '14 at 11:39
  • Isn't there another door with the same screws? Typically the screws that are with the knobs are long enough to accommodate thicker doors. As long as your door is only 1 3/8" it can be 1/2" shorter. Do not get them too long or the screw will bottom out before the handle is drawn tight. My guess is a 10/24 round head screw 1 1/4" long. The head may be too big to fit in the recess, since it will not be the original screws. They may be ground on a bit to get them to fit, in a pinch. – Jack Apr 8 '14 at 11:50
  • Find another doorknobin your house from the same manufacturer, borrow one of the screws from there, make sure it fits the lost screw doorknob, then take it to your hardware store to match replacements. – Joe Apr 8 '14 at 17:53

Thanks for all of the answers. After bringing the door knob to Home Depot, I ended up buying #8-32 x 1" brass round-head machine screws, which worked perfectly.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.