I live in Midwest in a townhouse. Having problems with new neighbors dogs crapping in yard. Planning to surround yard with 5ft chainlink fence and also cementing the encased area to use as patio with in-ground drain. There won't be any soil area left. In which order should these two tasks be done? Which contractors do i need, masonry or fencing company or both? The downspout is in the ground. Is there a way to tie a drainage system from cement pad into downspout? Area measures about 5x7ft.


There are local landscaping companies that would do all of this around me. I would call a couple. Also with a small area some pavers might look a lot nicer than a concrete slab and might save you a lot of money.

But before you start anything you need to make sure that your townhouse board is OK with any of this. There might be a specific type of fence that you need to get and bylaws on doing cement work and stuff.


Unless you get a general contractor, you'll need both a concrete company and a fencing company. If I were doing this, I'd prep the footings for the fence first, then lay the concrete, and finish with the fencing. Using a bull float to finish the concrete would be extremely difficult in a 5x7 fenced in area. This is likely going to require some degree of coordination between the two companies, so it might not be a bad idea to just let a general contractor deal with that aspect of it if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.