I moved into a house and found these handy widgets screwed into a bedroom wall. These widgets each consist of a hook-shaped piece of metal with a small clip that fastens a window curtain to the hook. These are very handy for keeping light from shining around the curtain while I'm napping.

This is completely separate from the rod that the curtain hangs from. They are at about breast height.

I wanted to buy some more of these, but I don't know what to ask for at the hardware store and it's tricky to describe it.

enter image description here


They are called safety cup hooks and have been cleverly repurposed.

safety cup hook

Links are for illustration purposes only. No product or source is being endorsed.
  • While that's what they are, you likely want to be searching for what HerrBag mentioned. The proper term/device is a 'curtain tie back'. It's essentially the same thing, but larger, and usually designed to look nicer. – DA01 Apr 5 '14 at 5:41
  • @DA01 I thought that too initially, but since his purpose is to hold the edge of the curtain to the wall to keep light out, tiebacks won't work. He may also want tiebbacks for gathering the curtain in an open position. – bib Apr 5 '14 at 11:30
  • What where they originally created for? Do they go back to ship rigging or is it more modern? – HerrBag Apr 5 '14 at 14:40

Curtain tie backs etsy page of tie backs

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.