I've tried looking all over for a solution, but I've yet to find a solution that matches my situation. The cover I have (I think) is supposed to turn so the hole is downwards so you can remove the screw to remove the cap. However, this unit seems to be (somehow) installed upside-down. The cap can rotate easily from the 12 o'clock to the 3 o'clock, but there's a rim inside that's mostly covering the screw inside. I can also turn the cap (with some effort) from 12 o'clock to 10 o'clock but it sounds like something is cracking or grinding when I do.

I also tried removing the screw despite the metal rim inside, but it just loosened until it was pressing against that rim and wouldn't come out any more.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm trying to remove it because I think there's leaking happening behind there.

turn-style overflow cover

As requested, here's a closer picture of the hole in the cap. I highlighted the screw head as it's hard to see. You can see that the screw head in mostly covered by the stationary metal rim.

screw inside overflow cap

  • 1
    The overflow leads to the tub drain. You won't see much if you get the cap off, other than a passage leading to the drain.
    – Tester101
    Commented Mar 29, 2014 at 22:30
  • I have leaking occurring and that overflow is the last place to look. I'm hoping that after I get the cap off I can seal around it. Commented Mar 30, 2014 at 2:10
  • 4
    you may need to see it from the back side. Commented Mar 30, 2014 at 11:38
  • Yes, but I'd like to start with the part that doesn't need cutting a hole in the wall. ;) Commented Mar 30, 2014 at 16:07
  • What does the plaque read?
    – Bryce
    Commented Apr 2, 2014 at 6:56

2 Answers 2


The reason you hear a grating sound and can only turn the over flow plate slightly is because it is attached to a bushing which is screwed into the over flow pipe. When you turn the cap it threads into the pipe. If you are concerned that water is leaking from the over flow drain pipe behind the tub there should be an access panel on the other side of the drain wall (usually). If there is no way to check the drain you may want to create an access so you can check. Other possible ways to check would be the floor under the tub (if there is space).

  • Thanks for the answer, but the question is about how to remove the cover. I'm pretty sure there's no leaking going on in there, but I'd still like to know how to remove the cap (or if it's even possible on this side). Commented Sep 8, 2015 at 14:40
  • Not a jet. got it. If you don't see any obvious fasteners, and turning left and right isn't loosening it... It must be pressure fitted. Possibly with spring clips. Have you tried prying it off with a putty knife? Is there a noticeable lip or edge that would indicate that it is a cover or cap?
    – ojait
    Commented Sep 8, 2015 at 21:59
  • @Tim Tisdall- What is that round shaped mark on the top of the cover? Could you post a close up of it?
    – ojait
    Commented Sep 8, 2015 at 22:01
  • ... added another photo. Commented Sep 9, 2015 at 0:22
  • 1
    @Tim- I contacted Jacuzzi and they needed the serial #. here's their email address: [email protected], if you want to contact them yourself.
    – ojait
    Commented Sep 10, 2015 at 18:38

Not sure how old or new this is. The last one I installed the metal cover snapped onto the part that is screwed on. May not have been aligned when it was snapped on. Try "gently" to pry the cover off. Yours may be one piece but seeing how the screw is misaligned I'm thinking it's two pieces. They make the cover snap on so same base can be used with different finishes. Is there a brand?

  • It's a Jacuzzi. Commented Oct 3, 2017 at 15:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.