I am looking for a highly transparent material that is available to buy in 0.1 mm thick film/sheets.

The only one I am aware of is PMMA (aka plexiglass) but I haven't been able to locate a supplier of such thin plates/film.

Do you have any other suggestions? (It does not have to be particularly strong, but highly transparent)

  • -1 because I believe this is borderline with our "shopping advice" policy. See the meta discussion for more details about our product recommendation policy. – BMitch Mar 18 '14 at 16:52
  • 0.1mm is impossibly thin for anything that's not just an adhesive glass covering or anything. You'll have a lot more options if you can tolerate greater thickness. – iLikeDirt Mar 18 '14 at 17:40

If you are good with "film" there are many options - mylar (polyester), whatever grocery store plastic wrap is, heat shrink window film (polyolefin, perhaps?)

If 50x75mm is sufficient size (you didn't specify), #1 microscope cover glass (thus - glass) is 0.13-0.17mm thick, and is available (at least) that large.

4 mil (0.004") is a pretty typical thickness for overhead transparencies, available at any office supply store. That's almost exactly 0.1mm.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.