I was replacing some drywall and noticed the wiring underneath has a couple of surface tears. House is from the sixties, but has been rewired with new Romex, except this circuit. Wire seems to be old type of Romex (cloth covered) and has the marking "HATFLEX NM 14/2". Only the cloth is partially teared-up.

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

Should I be worried about this? I was considering putting some electrical tape over the damaged sections. Is this ok? What other alternatives do I have?

1 Answer 1



You can use a cable jacket repair tape, to repair the jacket. I would not use simple electrical tape to make the repair, since it has a tendency to dry out and fall off.

Scotch® Cable Jacket Repair Tape 2234

Scotch® Cable Jacket Repair Tape 2234

Repairing Damaged Cable Jacket When No Portion of Cable Jacket is Missing

  • Abrade the cable jacket 3" (75 mm) beyond each side of the damaged cable jacket section
    figure 1

  • Wrap one half-lapped layer of Scotch® Cable Jacket Repair Tape 2234 extending at least 2" (50 mm) on each side beyond the damaged cable jacket
    figure 2

  • Starting 1" (25 mm) past the Scotch® Cable Jacket Repair Tape 2234, apply 3 half-lapped layers of Scotch™ Super 33+™ Vinyl Electrical Tape to each end to temporarily secure the ends of the Scotch® 2234 tape to the cable jacket until the tape reaches full bond. figure 3


NOTE: Other products do exist. The products listed above are for example purposes only. I do not recommend or endorse the above listed products.


If the section is accessible at both ends, you could simply replace the section of cable.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.