I inherited a floor lamp without a shade. It has a harp, but there is nothing on the top of the harp to attach the shade. If I have my terminology correct, I'm looking for the piece that that the finial will screw into. It's circled in this photo. What's this called, and can I buy one with a finial so I can buy a shade for the lamp? Or should I just buy a new harp (that presumably will come with this piece)?enter image description here

3 Answers 3


I just was looking for one a few weeks ago. I saw them under a few names "harp fitter", "spider fitter", or "lamp adjuster". I just got a new harp it was easier.


I worked in a real lighting store for several years in my teens and early 20's. I was responsible for many purchase orders, quite a few from the likes of Angelo and Wn DeSherbenin.

That piece is crimped onto the harp. I have never seen it available separately. You simply need to replace the harp.


I think what both of you are talking about is simply called a finial. You thread it onto the screw at the top of the harp. You don't have to buy a whole new harp. Finials are sold in the lamp department everywhere. You can choose a plain one or a decorative one to "dress up" a lampshade.

  • 1
    Per the question "I'm looking for the piece that that the finial will screw into" Commented Feb 4, 2019 at 19:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.