I live in Georgia (around the Atlanta area) and recently discovered mold in the crawl space of my home (I plan to have the mold professionally removed). My crawl space is about 30' by 15' (4' to 15' in height) in size and is vented. The ceiling of the crawl space has fiberglass batts that are starting to fall from moisture and rodents. The mold is forming on the wood where the batts are installed.
The crawl space has no duct work or machinery in it. It is a open space with a couple of wires, an AC condensation line, and the water main pipe running through it. I have not noticed any significant wanter build up inside, so I don't think a drain system is needed.
I was thinking of encapsulating (floor and walls) the space myself using 10 mil plastic sheeting, foam board, and calk.
My questions are, is encapsulation over kill? Do I need to reinsulate the ceiling if I encapsulate? Do I need a permeant dehumidifier in the space if i encapsulate, or would a temporary dehumidifer be ok just to dry the area after encapsulation?