In my pantry cabinet, the holes for the plastic brackets has gotten too large and they do not hold. The cabinets are made out of particle board. Does anyone have any suggestions?

  • Can you show a closeup well focused picture of the damaged hole area and a picture of the plastic bracket?
    – Michael Karas
    Jan 18, 2014 at 19:37

4 Answers 4


The metric (4 or 5mm) holes can be redrilled to hold the 1/4" shelf spoons. If that does not do it, there are metal sockets for the 1/4" spoons that take a slightly larger hole, then they can be driven into place to hold the larger spoon. If the spoons or clips already have a 1/4" hole, then you may be better off retro fitting a shelf track system. Third pic.

Instead of trying to drive nails in a tight space, use 4ga X3/4" screws instead, the cabinet will thank you for it.

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

The picture size is grossly out of proportion, buit the first pic is the socket that holds the spoon which is the second pic. The socket looks more like a bucket, that will hold 10 of those spoons..

  • When I search for shelf track system, I get the kind where the long supports stick out, not ones that hold these square supports. What do I search for? Or do you have a link to the ones in the photo? Nov 11, 2023 at 13:59
  • @Merlin-they-them- I just did a fast search for "KV track", it shows the various supports the company makes
    – Jack
    Nov 12, 2023 at 5:37

You could also drill out a much larger hole (3/4" seems good to me) and glue in a wooden (non-particle board) plug. After the glue is dried, drill the proper size hole in the plug.

  • I have plugged holes like Ecnerwal suggests in the past it creates a very strong hole.+ , I have not tried the metal rings that Jack showed but those may be easier if the hole is not two large.+
    – Ed Beal
    Dec 14, 2018 at 15:55

Redrill a new hole 3/4" away from the bad hole and fill the old hole with Seamfillor cover it with a vinyl Fastcap.


I think toggle bolts...they are made to grab behind board (wall board etc.) that has too big holes.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.