How do I hide screws on the side of a kitchen cabinet wall that has slightly countersunk screws? I will be painting my cabinets black.

kitchen cabinets before and after with countersunk screws

2 Answers 2


You can use wood filler if you're painting the cabinets. Use a putty knife to apply, and then sand even after it dries.

enter image description here

Alternatively, if you're going to stain the cabinets, you can use a plug cutter that matches the countersink diameter. Using matching scrap wood, cut a plug that has a similar grain pattern, and lightly tap it in the hole after applying a thin layer of wood glue. When it dries, you can use a chisel to cut it flush or nearly flush, and then finish up with sandpaper. Then you're ready to stain!

enter image description here

If I remember correctly, this 5/16" diameter plug cutter works well with a #8 countersink hole. (You may want to check, it's been a while since I used that combination on a project.)

  • 1
    veneer would also work, though may be overkill if you're just painting the cabinet.
    – Tester101
    Jan 13, 2014 at 17:23

I'm not a DIY genius, but I'd go with "filler".

  • 2
    This would make sense as a comment, but still doesn't add much info. Some people might make a comment to @Doresoom such as +1 for the filler suggestion and upvote it to show your approval.
    – bib
    Jan 13, 2014 at 20:09
  • I know... but its like asking "how do I fold paper" Jan 14, 2014 at 9:14
  • @DarkcatStudios, The question may have seemed simple enough to you, but trivializing the OP's question doesn't help them out any. It wasn't a stupid question, just an easy one for most people who have a little experience with home repair/woodworking. Isn't that the whole point of this site? To impart our DIY knowledge/experience to others?
    – Doresoom
    Jan 14, 2014 at 17:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.