120VAC needs a proper, enclosed junction box. Speaker cable, data, and low voltage power are fine with the more open low-voltage boxes. At what voltage are the enclosed boxes required? Do PoE lines (48VDC) need the same boxes as 120VAC? What's the cut-off?

  • Typically communication wiring is allowed to use "low voltage" boxes, and power wiring must use closed boxes. Power over Ethernet (PoE) combines both, but I suspect would fall back to the safetiest which would be closed boxes.
    – Tester101
    Jan 11, 2014 at 5:32
  • If I remember correctly POE was designed to fall under low voltage most places so existing data wiring could be used. I have never seen ethernet cables used for PoE put inside an enclosed box.
    – Grant
    Jan 11, 2014 at 19:23

1 Answer 1


Regulations vary by country/locale.

IEC SELV is < 25 VAC or < 60 VDC.

See IEEE 802.3 POEP Study Group Safety considerations for POE and POEplus

  • What locale are you reporting about?
    – bib
    Jan 11, 2014 at 16:46
  • @bib: Ones that, directly or indirectly, base regulations on IEC/IEEE definitions. :-) Jan 11, 2014 at 16:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.