I have recently bought a home in which there is a wall at right at the entrance of the foyer. Is there any way to tell if it is a load-bearing wall? I just want to get rid of it.

enter image description here


1 Answer 1


I'd say it's almost certainly load bearing for one simple reason.

You've got what appears to be a beam running over the opening from the dining room to the hallway, and you don't have one going into the kitchen.

The fact that your dining/hall opening isn't floor to ceiling suggests strongly that the beam is running across that opening, which means it's running the depth of the house.

enter image description here

  • Hi @Greebo, In this situation what is the best way to remove this type of wall ?
    – David
    Dec 30, 2013 at 16:03
  • 1
    @David That's a great question, and you should ask it as such. Better than trying to hash it out in a comment discussion here. Thanks. Dec 30, 2013 at 16:55
  • Indeed. I'm not going to try to answer that question in comments. Dec 30, 2013 at 18:04
  • @ Greebo, I am writing another question for it. Thanks for answering this.
    – David
    Dec 30, 2013 at 21:01
  • Added another question diy.stackexchange.com/questions/37319/…
    – David
    Dec 30, 2013 at 21:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.