I'm a little desperate here. When we moved into this home, we inherited this shower fixture. Now it's leaking. But, I can't figure out how to remove it!?

alt text I've tried to back it all the way off and looked for a set screw on the bottom. I can't find any manuals online for this part. Any ideas?


It looks like the screw in the center is missing (the hole in the center of the piece that says "off"). I would try pulling on that center part to remove it (the screw that was there probably was to hold it in place but now that it is gone it should come off... easier said than done). You will probably need to pull fairly hard or even use a screw driver to slowly pry it off (especially if it has been on for a long time it might take some work to get it off). Then once that center piece comes off you should see the other screws that are holding the rest of the unit on.

| improve this answer | |
  • 3
    or use a drill to just drill out the rusted-in-to-oblivion screw head. – longneck Dec 28 '10 at 19:49
  • @longneck - you would need to replace the whole thing though. – ChrisF Dec 28 '10 at 22:28
  • 2
    After you drill out the old rusted center screw, try a wheel puller if you have one. – shirlock homes Dec 29 '10 at 9:22
  • @ChrisF - good point, i was under the impression the OP wanted to replace the whole thing. a stripped screw removal bit might be more appropriate. or with a bit of careful drilling, the shaft of the screw might be exposed enough that it could be removed with a pair of plyers. – longneck Dec 29 '10 at 14:43
  • 1
    That was it. I hadn't wanted to pull so hard on it. But, with the encouragement above, I went for it. – Scott P Dec 30 '10 at 6:16

You could use a faucet handle puller. These are available at almost any hardware store for under $15.

enter image description here

You stick the middle pin into the hole in the center of the faucet, and adjust the side-pincers to grab the handle from beneath. Then you turn the handle to gently, directly pull the faucet handle off.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.