I'm looking for an electric water valve for a DIY project. I need to be able to close it partially so as to control the water flow rate. The exact details of how to control it are not important; I'm sure I can build the necessary circuitry.

Could someone please recommend one?

The only valves I find are either huge industrial valves or unbelievably expensive (£500+) lab valves.


1 Answer 1


What you're looking for is called a proportional valve and they're typically not cheap. Here's a series that should do what you want from ASCO, and I was able to find it for sale online for US$316 (as of today). I'm not sure if that price includes the PWM controller module or not, or how necessary that module is.

  • Hmm, thanks for this. Spent another hour searching knowing the proper name for these valves, and they are indeed expensive (in addition to being rare and hard to find). I think I'm best off grabbing a cheap tap-style valve, a couple of metal gears and a strong stepper motor...
    – RomanSt
    Dec 10, 2010 at 17:48
  • That would definitely qualify as doing it yourself! Dec 10, 2010 at 18:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.