I was wondering what this part of stair trim that the arrow points to is referred to as. It is like a faceplate on the side of stairs, inverse of a baseboard.

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


If it's structural (the tread/risers are supported by it), it's called a stringer.

If it's not structural, it's called skirting (or simply a skirt).

enter image description here enter image description here Source (PDF)

  • not structural, simply decorative
    – amphibient
    Nov 4, 2013 at 17:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.