I have a poured concrete foundation. A portion of my basement is unfinished.

It looks like a white plaster has been sprayed onto the foundation wall inside my house: Close up

I suspect spraying as there are pieces of wood and other things that are close to the wall are covered in what looks like splash back of the same material: Spray

Due to some previous water damage (the source of the problem has been fixed), this material has flaked off from the wall. I have cleaned up the loose bits with a masonry chisle and now wish to restore the wall in these areas to look like the rest.


I have no idea what this material is or how to apply it. I have searched the internet for things like "spackle" or "popcorn" (since it looks like ceiling popcorn) as they relate to basement or foundation walls but everything I turn up is about troweling on parging mix, portland cement, or other masonry products (i.e. the end result is a smooth wall).

My backup plan should I not be able to replace the material is to figure out what it is and determine if I could parge over it.

Any ideas?

2 Answers 2


Two common types of things are sprayed on basement walls.

What I suspect you have there is a white "waterblocking" coating - something like UGL Drylock (not an endorsement, just an example. I prefer waterbase version) UGK drylock
(source: drylok.com)
It can be brushed or rolled, and a vigorous rolling may well provide the spatter you see. It's also becoming common to see sprayed-on polyurethane foam in basements (it's better put on the outside, but if retrofitting, putting it on the inside doesn't involve excavating all around the building) but that's usually a bit thicker and somewhat yellow (plus it's obviously plastic when you touch it.)

  • I don't think it's polyurethane either. It's hard and seems sort of like an enamel. I think you're right about a waterblocking coat or masonry waterproofer. I searched for Drylok and the website for this product says it can be applied using a sprayer and has a PDF detailing the process.
    – shufler
    Nov 15, 2013 at 19:37

It is not UGL. It is a thin parging sprayed on to help damp-proof the foundation. It actually does very little except give an even appearance to the walls.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.