How do I fix 2 narrow splits on a wooden clock cabinet? The splits are following the grain pattern. I want to fill them in and not notice them.

Should I use a colored wax stick?


Colored wax is very minimally disturbing (to the existing finish) and easily reversible, should you want to redo the repair. Buff it with soft cloth to match sheens and you can even overcoat the whole piece with a good paste wax, afterwards.

For wood grains that have a range of colors, I like to blend (rub in) several colors along the crack. That way, the repair is less monochromatic and therefore more natural looking.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.