My home, built in the late 1950s, has these cute little additional locks on top of the main doorknobs to many of the interior rooms. I can't seem to find the correct term for these locks, which would allow me to find parts for them, etc., as several are broken. Photo attached. Any ideas?

enter image description here

  • I have seen them referred to as a privacy latch.
    – mikes
    Sep 22, 2013 at 23:21
  • Interesting. A quick google image search turns up some things that function this way but nothing looks like them. I realize they're old and no longer used. Perhaps that's why. N
    – jbeldock
    Sep 22, 2013 at 23:25
  • 1
    They're very cute locks. But keep in mind if the door is latch, and there is any sort of emergency, you'll have to break the door down. I see you have a child guard on the interior knob, and kids tend to lock themselves in.
    – Bryce
    Jan 9, 2014 at 10:54

1 Answer 1


You can try a different search phrase as "Thumb Turn Security Latch".

There is a seller on eBay that has new stock available in range of finishes. Here is a picture of the offering.

enter image description here

Considering the price you may just want to consider purchasing new units instead of trying to locate parts for the old ones that are broken.

The trade name for these seems to be: Deltana mortise bolt

You can find those at many web sites including at MyKnobs.com.

Here are some dimensional pictures from a Deltana specification sheet so you can compare to your existing items.

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • Thank you, Michael. That did it. At $15, I'm just going to replace the bad ones. Appreciate the help.
    – jbeldock
    Sep 23, 2013 at 1:15
  • They can be used on outside doors, as deadbolt. They're not ideal, because you can't unlock them from the outside (also a concern indoors, with children)
    – HerrBag
    Sep 23, 2013 at 20:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.