We recently bought a 1950s vintage house with no soffits, i.e. no roof overhang. Thus there are no soffit vents in my attic, only a ridge vent and 2 gable vents, one with a powered fan. However, those are only outtakes, and as far as I know, the only fresh air is coming in from the door to the attic (this is a split-level).

I believe we need some sort of intake venting in the roof, and my roofer recommended an on-roof vent product.

Has anyone had experience with this type of product? Specifically:

  • Does it provide adequate air flow?
  • Are there water/ice penetration issues?
  • Are there other options for a house with no soffits?
  • You asked this question almost two years ago. Did you ever find an answer anywhere? I have the exact same situation and when I found your question, I was hoping I had found an answer, too. But, alas, not yet.
    – Ast Pace
    Commented Aug 20, 2015 at 16:20
  • No, I ended up getting three retrofitted 6" vents installed equidistant from each other. It seems to help with airflow.
    – Neil
    Commented Aug 22, 2015 at 1:36

1 Answer 1


Maybe the links have changed, but if this is the product that you were looking at...

enter image description here

then yes, I have had experience with roof to wall vents... they work; but they are for the tops of roofs, where they meet a wall (like for an addition on the side of a house). So, I don't think it would be useful for your house, if I understand your question correctly. If you installed soffits (or found a way to vent without them), then you may want to use a ridge vent (kind of the same thing), but I don't really understand a way around adding/building an overhang in order to have soffits.

I would like to see a pic of your way/solution around soffits (6" vents installed equidistant from each other).

enter image description hereenter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.