When tiling the bathroom, I cut the door frame higher up than I needed to and now have a large gap. Please advise the best method of filling this gaps so that it looks professional. Some choices - 1. Caulk - easiest, but wont be flush and I believe will look tacky 2. Cutting the frame higher up and adding a new piece of frame. This will look better, but will take time/effort. Is there a filler that can be moulded/sanded and then painted and that is waterproof?

enter image description here

  • Any chance there will be carpet installed in this area?
    – wallyk
    Commented Sep 3, 2013 at 18:09

2 Answers 2


The usual approach is to cut a thin strip of the same jamb and moldings and glue into place.

You can also fill in small spots with an epoxy based product like Bondo or other paste-like filler (would not use it for thicker vertical surfaces since it may slump). It can be carved and sanded like a hard wood.

A combination of these techniques should give you a pretty unnoticeable surface once painted.


The difficulty here is extending the door casing's pattern so that it nearly touches the tile. A stylistic device which helps with this problem is the plinth block which you simply install in place of a removed section of the moulding.

In your case, plinth blocks address what to do about the outward-facing door casing. The remaining issue to deal with is the door jamb itself, and the inner moulding running down the inside of the jamb.

The inner moulding, I would just remove and replace with a longer one.

Before installing the new inner moulding, I would extend the jamb with a plank of wood grafted underneath, bookended by the two plinth blocks (perhaps secured to them with adhesive, or finishing nails). The plank could be obtained by cutting from a piece of moulding (conveniently, already primed white).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.