I want to build desk objets out of concrete, such as the ones in the images below ( i don't own any of them, they have been taken from around the internet).


enter image description here



enter image description here

The walls of these objects are not more than 4mm thick, what kind of mix would i need to make such objects so that they are durable ?

I have tried the normal sand, cement mixes but they don't seem to good enough at the thickness I am using. I have heard about GFRC and admixtures but i don't get to buy them where i live. So i am trying for a DIY solution from scratch.

Has anyone tried to build such objects ? If so what do you recommend. I am new to using concrete, so please help me out...

Thanks in advance...

closed as off-topic by Niall C., Tester101 Sep 4 '13 at 16:45

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Arts, crafts and decorating advice are off-topic as they have little in common with the other home improvement tasks discussed here." – Niall C., Tester101
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • The 'Hobby project' police will be coming for you.. try to incorporate a home improvement angle, such as concrete repair. Allowable topics: diy.stackexchange.com/help/on-topic – HerrBag Aug 31 '13 at 12:44

Two elements will help in casting small concrete parts.. A plasticizer, such as a latex admix and vibration of your mold, to cause bubbles to rise.

If you really can't get a latex admix, you might try latex paint, as a guess (keep the percentage low, <10% of your water)

  • Thanks for the suggestion, i will try mixing in some latex paint and see what the results are like. What does the plasticizer do in this mix? – cpv Sep 1 '13 at 2:48
  • 1
    Plasticiser improves the workability of the concrete, without adding excess water (which will reduce the ultimate strength of the conrete). See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasticizer#For_concrete – John Sep 2 '13 at 7:38

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.