Live in a town house in Virginia built in 1970's. We have lived there for about 12 years. Two weeks ago I noticed a picture hanging on my bedroom wall was wet and discolored. I moved the picture and under the picture was mold growing on the drywall. I cut a section of the molded drywall and removed wet insulation. Once the insulation was removed I could touch the wet cinder block. Since this first spotting I have several other pictures with mold growing. Some are on different floors of the town house and opposite exterior facing walls. My question is should there be some type of sheathing or moisture barrier between the cinder block and stud/insulation, and drywall? Again the town house is brick on the outside with the drywall and insulation removed I see the cinder block, but no vapor barrier. Is this a case of poor construction? Is it possible to take so many years to appear?
I have had my gutters looked at and roof checked. All appear fine. My attic is fine as well. Several roofers have looked into the problem but can't solve. Any suggestions?