I recently replaced my bedroom ceiling fan with a newer ceiling fan and with the old fan I could:
- Use one switch on the wall to turn on/off the light
- Use the other switch on the wall to turn on/off the fan
The new fan came with a remote and the remote and the chains are the only way I can turn the fan and the light on and off. This ONLY works, however, when one particular wall switches is on.
During the installation, coming from my ceiling I had a black, white, and red wire. My instructions didn't include anything about connecting the red wire, so I just put a wire tie on it and proceeded. I now think this was connected to the wall switches.
My basic questions are:
- Should I have ignored the red wire?
- What is the red wire for and why was it left out of the instructions?
- Why did I loose functionality with a newer fan (i.e. why can't I turn the lights and fan on/off via the switches on the wall?)
- When I turn on the lights, why does it make an brief buzz sound?
- If I turn on the light from the chain I cannot turn it on/off because the light will turn off immediately. I can only turn on and off via the remote. Why?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a complete noob at this.