The house is surrounded by other structures in a way that the the wind direction remains parallel-horizontal to the wall. There are a couple of windows on that wall, but amount of air passing through those two windows is very small. If an obstacle could be placed to divert the wind into the house then the air passing through the windows would be greater.


  • How can I divert the wind (air) which is flowing parallel to the wall into the house?
  • Is there any design for a wind catcher which can be mounted on an exterior wall?

I think the ideal solution would be to get casement windows. If the wind blows in both direction (at different times) you could go with a set of casements and open the applicable one:

enter image description here

Barring that, I think you need to rig up something that works the same say...perhaps a sheet metal 'vent hood' mounted at an angle. Or even perhaps just a piece of plywood.

  • casements will divert parallel winds that have a strong horizontal component. – mike Aug 15 '13 at 15:21
  • @mike right...that's what the OP was asking for, right? Or did I misunderstand the question? – DA01 Aug 15 '13 at 16:20
  • Quite likely, yes, but OP did not specify that the winds were horizontal, only that they were parallel. – mike Aug 15 '13 at 16:57
  • @mike ha! Good point. – DA01 Aug 15 '13 at 17:11
  • @DAO1 - Thanks. It was an absurd point, but a point none the less. :) – mike Aug 16 '13 at 2:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.