I bought and installed a whole home humidifier. The humidifier is located in my attic connected to the air exchanger. The Self-Piercing Saddle Valve is located there as well to draw water to the flow through screen. Since the valve is at the highest water point, I seem to get suction around the rubber gasket and air gets into the pipe and I have to flush that zone every day or 2. Is there an alternative to the saddle valve?

  • Does having a humidifier mean you're likely to get mold? Or are you doing something else to mitigate that?
    – Jay Bazuzi
    Commented Nov 23, 2010 at 4:54
  • the main living floor is very dry during the winter and we have a room humidifier, but wanted something a bit more substantial.
    – Queso
    Commented Nov 27, 2010 at 18:24

1 Answer 1


I had a self piercing saddle valve on my whole house humidifier when I bought the house. It had developed mineral deposits in the piercing hole and no longer worked. I ended up taking it off, cutting the pipe and sweating in a regular valve. Self-piercing valves are notorious for clogging up and also for eventually leaking. Since it is in you attic, any leak would drip down onto you ceiling and cause water damage. I would consider replacing it with a regular valve.

  • Agreed. The self-piercing valve that the previous owners installed in my home for the refrigerator ice maker sprung a leak about 2 years ago. Luckily, it was in the basement, and it happened while I had framing up, but before I had drywall up for my finishing job. I had a plumber come in and replace it, as well as the other self-piercing time bomb that they had installed for the humidifier. Commented Nov 23, 2010 at 22:43
  • I installed a T to the humidifier, so far so good. Thanks for the Advice!
    – Queso
    Commented Nov 27, 2010 at 18:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.