How do we safely convert a dedicated 6-15p to a 6-20p receptacle? This outlet is for our "through the wall" air/heating unit, which no longer works. Current replacement units have a 6-20p plug type. The outlet is on a separate/dedicated breaker.

  • 2
    Is the existing wiring already 12AWG or? Commented Jul 3 at 11:40
  • 2
    The 20 means twenty amps. Unless you are very lucky and already have 12 gauge wire, you need to change the wire, the breaker, and the receptacle.
    – crip659
    Commented Jul 3 at 11:48
  • 1
    Thank you...we aren't able to determine the gauge wire, but it's looking like an electrician will need to be involved :)
    – Ronda
    Commented Jul 3 at 12:02
  • The wire gauge is printed on the wire/cable every ~12 inches. The breaker and receptacle are easy to replace if you are comfortable. The wire might be easy if in the open or a pain in the neck(or lower) if in the walls. The wires/breaker will depend on what the new units take. More than 12 amps/2880 watts and you need to change to 20 amps
    – crip659
    Commented Jul 3 at 21:43
  • If it's the only outlet on the circuit, then by code you do NOT have 12ga, as 15a receptacles are only allowed on 20a circuits when they are not the only outlet on the circuit. Commented Jul 4 at 14:14


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.