Our roof has a few small spots where some of the top layer of shingle is worn off and white is showing through. I find myself wondering if there is a product that can / should be used to simply patch over the top of these spots. I haven't had much success searching online for such a thing, so perhaps it's not recommended? Thanks!

enter image description here

  • Roofing tar should cover and prevent them from getting worst/leaking. But it will stand out/not look good.
    – crip659
    Commented Jun 15 at 14:47

1 Answer 1


Some sort of impact damage (sticks, hail, bird) exposing the fibreglass layer, at a guess.

If you are the cautious and prepared sort of owner that has a few spare shingles set aside to repair damage, cut a few chunks from one long enough to slide up under the top shingle (which you'll have to gently pry up on a nice hot day when they are flexible) and glue in place with roofing cement. Since the shingles are already "3D architectural" it's a practically invisible repair, if done right.

Otherwise you're going to have to buy an entire bundle of shingles in a hopefully-matching color to do that job well.

  • thanks! so essentially cover it up with a piece of another shingle, if i understand correctly? That makes a ton of sense, tho unfortunately we recently bought the house and haven't found a stash of matching shingles, hence looking for other options... but maybe i can find some to buy !
    – aknodt
    Commented Jun 15 at 21:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.