I am aware this is not the most important thing but it just bothers me. The moron of a contractor who installed my sub-panel left the main breaker out (which I meanwhile installed back myself) and cut a dirty piece of sheet metal to cover the whole (attached with self tapping screws):

enter image description here

What is the best way to patch these holes? It would be mainly for the looks.

  • Since it's a new panel, just order a new deadfront cover from an authorized dealer. When you reinstalled the 200A breaker, did you use a torque wrench to the spec on the panel labeling? Or just "gud-n-tite"? Because the latter is not reliable and will arc and start a fire in the panel. We see it all the time. Commented May 19 at 17:08
  • @Harper-ReinstateMonica I’ll look into it but it seems that’s well over 100$. Maybe not worth it. Yes, “gud-n-tite”. Even though I feel good tight. I know off topic but would you have a recommendation for a torque wrench that works as broadly as possible but is not the worst either? I was thinking of getting one back then but I didn’t want to get a tool I’d use only once. And I was wary of all the “promising” options off Amazon.
    – divB
    Commented May 20 at 7:29
  • generally electrical is too fine for a mechanic's torque wrench to be useful. My lowest torque on my car is 10 FOOT-pounds, I've not seen electrical torques above 100 INCH-pounds. The ranges don't overlap. To avoid junk, don't do mail-order. Mail-order bypasses consumer protections by having the true seller be overseas in a legally untouchable country. Commented May 21 at 19:08

2 Answers 2


Easy button is a square of black electrical tape run around the 200A switch.

  • That’s actually easy and creative solution! I like it. Will go for that.
    – divB
    Commented May 20 at 7:23
  • Could even make it some other color (red?) electrical tape for some visual variety.
    – Huesmann
    Commented May 20 at 11:38

I would go with some black grommets or plugs.

Another simple option would be some small setcrews and nuts.

A third, not so liked by me, would be to make sure they are flat then fill with silicone or a resin type glue with a backing.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.