This is a P-clip:

a black nylon P-clip

It has a round bit which goes round a pipe, and two flanges which come off and present a pair of aligned holes through which you can thread a bolt. Ideal.

One of the flanges comes off the round bit at a tangent, and the other doubles back on itself to come off at a sharp angle. When bolted together, they form a projection which is tangential to the pipe - if you bolted through the flanges to a surface, that the pipe would lie pretty much flat on that surface. Since P-clips are mostly used for mounting pipes to walls, this is, again, ideal.

I have a situation where i want to bolt something to a pipe, but it's not a wall. I actually want to hang something off a pipe. To do this, i need some sort of clip where i can put a bolt through a projection which sticks straight out from the pipe, rather than sticking out at a tangent. Not a P-clip - more of a Q-clip.

(Would a diagram help here?)

Is there such a thing? I have searched for Q-clips, in case that's what they're called, but haven't come up with much.

  • 1
    How heavy is this hanging object going to be? Pipes, while strong in and of themselves, were not installed with the idea of hanging things off them in mind. Commented Jul 25, 2013 at 14:07
  • If there is a cleaner looking solution than mine, I could see using it to make your own cabinet handles/pulls. I'm trying to make a 4' handle but want a few supports in that length.
    – Jason
    Commented Jul 25, 2013 at 16:14
  • @ChrisCudmore: I can reveal that the 'pipe' is in fact the upper part of a bicycle wishbone seatstay, and the thing i am 'hanging' from it is in fact a pair of mounting bracket arms for a bike rack (which don't bear load, but stabilise the rack in the fore-aft direction). I am confident that the 'pipe' will be strong enough. Commented Jul 25, 2013 at 16:59
  • @TomAnderson When the question says pipe certain disclaimers should be listed. Bike or water pipe you can do as you please but hopefully this question and answers will be helpful to others in the future so generic questions warrant generic disclaimers.
    – Jason
    Commented Jul 25, 2013 at 17:22
  • @Monso: Good point, sorry. Commented Jul 25, 2013 at 17:25

2 Answers 2


There are 'universal' pipe hangers that you could shape as needed. These are just a strip of malleable metal with a series of holes in it. I'm sure the big box stores have something equivalent.

Pipe hanger


Adding some more options:

Pipe Routing http://www.mcmaster.com/#pipe-routing-clamps/=nrzgqn

  • Aha. So what i'm looking for is probably a "pipe hanger" of some sort? That makes perfect sense - it's just upside-down to how i had been thinking. Commented Jul 25, 2013 at 17:15
  • Yep, Need to hold a something to a pipe. Figure out how people hold pipes to things. I've added more from McMaster, which is a great site to start your search for what mechanical bits exist.
    – Dave
    Commented Jul 25, 2013 at 17:44
  • the metal strips are sometimes called 'plumbers tape' ... but if this is going on a vertical pipe, you might need something that's going to hold more firmly, as it's generally used for hanging pipes from other supports.
    – Joe
    Commented Jul 25, 2013 at 17:45

There is a ground clamp, though it will not be flush with the pipe ~1/4" standoff.

enter image description here

Lowes Product Link

--Edit, adding addition items:

Single Eared O Clip:

enter image description here

Exhaust Clamp:

enter image description here

Pipe Rail Tie:

enter image description here

  • That's pretty close. But i need to be able to run a bolt perpendicular to the pipe, as you can with a P-clip, and it looks like this gives me either a bolt running away from the pipe (as at the top) or parallel to it (through that little hole at the top). Commented Jul 25, 2013 at 17:09
  • But the bolt is perpendicular to the pipe. The screw to tighten on the ground wire is perpendicular centered, the other bolts are perpendicular tangents.
    – Jason
    Commented Jul 25, 2013 at 17:17
  • Oh, duh, yes, of course. Sorry, i was fixated on the bit at the top! Commented Jul 25, 2013 at 17:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.