While finishing my door, I've noticed a lot of small air bubbles after applying the finish. I asked a painter about it and he told me it's normal, but it doesn't seem normal to me. Is this normal or should I hire some other person?
It can be a problem when drying conditions are too fast for the finish to release the bubbles. Here are some strategies to try.
- Good quality brush, china bristle (boar) for oil
- Slight thinning (up to 10%).
- Drying extenders (retarders): Floetrol for latex, Penetrol for oil based paints and stains
- Don't shake your finish, stir only (to prevent mixing air into finish).
- "Tip off" slowly (lightly drag brush almost laying flat, no pressure) to integrate sections and even out finish.
- HVLP spraying is within home user capability and pricing.