I brought a section of my bursted pipe to a local Ace and was surprised to find none of their couplers fit. Even more surprising is I've not been able [so far] to find couplers online. In both cases they are 3/4" OUTER diameter.

The tubing may be 1970's fare. Should I jerry-rig some kind of connection or buy shark bit/pex something like that?

2 Answers 2


ah d'oh .. it's 7/8" pipes. And yes they're sold online. The 7-11'ish (small-box, but close-by/convenient) Ace Hardware doesn't carry 7/8".


Rigid pipe is described by inner diameter (so 3/4" pipe is about 7/8" outside). Tubing ("soft" copper) is described by outer diameter. Tubing is usually connected by compression fittings, but you can solder it with the proper fittings.

See also How can I connect to copper pipe which is slightly oversized?.

  • I just measured the couplings from Ace and they follow what you say here. The pipes I have are 7/8" outside diameter, so the couplings do not fit over them. Let's hope that the 7/8" couplings arriving today will fit [over the pipes]. Apr 3 at 21:57
  • The '7/8 inch' couplings are exactly the same as what I already had tried and are too small. I have not been able to identify the correct couplers. Apr 4 at 4:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.