This section of the wall (it may be plaster) was removed to install a French drain which you can barely make out in the picture.

I'm thinking of using tapcons and glue to adhere drywall to this section since there's not a lot of room to work with for furring strips. I'm concerned about humidity given the French drain, although the back of this wall is not exterior; it leads to a closet.

Other than drywall, what other alternatives should I explore?

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 1
    Looks like it was previously simply glued to the block?
    – Huesmann
    Commented Apr 3 at 13:13
  • I'm not clear on what you're calling a "French drain". The term simply means a gravity-operated drain to another part of the property. Where is the moisture likely to be here?
    – isherwood
    Commented May 3 at 13:20
  • What kind of finish is currently on the wall? I agree, it looks like some drywall had been glued up before.
    – FreeMan
    Commented May 3 at 13:47
  • There is a French drain installed under the steps. You can kind of see it by the first step of the staircase. Agree with the glue, will attempt to do that.
    – Guest
    Commented May 22 at 22:12

1 Answer 1


I would make very thin furring strips, just for support, or use a metal mesh. Then use the traditional plastering method of sequential layers of hot mud, adding 1/8" to 1/4" at a time until it's at the same level as the rest of the drywall. Then a final layer of lightweight joint compound.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.