I recently bought a register vent cover, and it didn't come with pre-drilled holes. I'd like to see if I can just drill the holes myself. The product page says it's made of brass, and I've heard that you need a specific drill bit for brass. Do you know where I can find those kinds of drill bits? Thank you in advance!

  • 4
    These are not really meant to have holes drilled in them. Are you sure you need the holes?
    – JACK
    Apr 2 at 20:37
  • Why do you need holes? If it's really made of brass, it's probably not a good idea to hang it from the ceiling unless you've designed this whole installation from scratch with suitable framing above. In which case you wouldn't be stuck now with the wrong cover. :)
    – jay613
    Apr 18 at 16:51

1 Answer 1


Any metal bit will do. The trick is to use a center punch ($4 tool) an then some cooling fluid while drilling. WD-40 works as cooling fluid.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.