picture1picture2I hit metal while drilling a hole next to a window. The identical house next to mine is at the pre-drywall stage, so I took a picture of the window area. I suspect the thing I'm hitting is called a stud plate tie. My questions are:

  1. Is this correct?
  2. Is it safe to drill through it?
  • 4
    You need to make sure it is a tie and not a protective plate for electric/plumbing. Drilling into a tie is okay, drilling into a protection plate is bad.
    – crip659
    Commented Mar 23 at 22:41
  • Updated my post. For some reason pictures didn't attach Commented Mar 23 at 22:43
  • 1
    @crip659 I thought it would be very odd to place something electrical or plumbing related so close to a window Commented Mar 23 at 22:46
  • Me too, but better safe than sorry.
    – crip659
    Commented Mar 23 at 22:55
  • Great idea checking out the house next door while you have the chance. It could be convenient in the future to have clear photos of all the internal walls, assuming your homes have the same plan and are built by the same builders.
    – Criggie
    Commented Mar 25 at 0:47

2 Answers 2


From the picture, that's a strap -- fancy people would call it a stud plate tie ;) -- and it's no problem to drill through it.

  • OK if it's not a large hole
    – stretch
    Commented Mar 24 at 22:10

Yes, it's o.k. to drill through it, with a smallish hole. You might even be lucky and happen to drill straight through an existing hole - there are plenty of them!

But consider moving the bracket a little to one side, that way, you're straight into wood, making life much easier.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.