I've never seen anything like it. It's for my mom's house built in 1957. I want to know how to replace it in case we run into a leak or need to replace the toilet without shutting the water off at the main. I don't see any compression fitting so I'm assuming it's soldered on but it looks like the whole pipe is connected somehow (maybe into the wall) I'm new to this site so thank you for the help.enter image description here

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


Looks like it flares out at the wall escutcheon. Hard to be 100% but I'd bet it is 1/2" female NPT and connected to galvanized iron pipe water supply.

Probably something like this

enter image description here

You could also just piggy back with a 3/8 x 3/8 stop valve.

3/8 x 3/8 stop valve

  • 1
    I'd start by removing the layers of paint and escutcheon... you can use tin snips to cut the escutcheon off the wall. once you expose the valve then you can just use an adjustable wrench but you'll need to have the water off and you'll need tpfe tape when installing a new one. Feb 27 at 5:33
  • 2
    the other option is to install a 3/8 compression x 3/8 compression stop and just have that in front of this one that likely doesn't work very well if at all currently. you'd have 2 valves but other than being a little ugly it is the easiest solution. Feb 27 at 5:35
  • 3
    it won't stop the first valve from leaking but if the first valve can't stop the water then this can help. generally the valve don't leak unless you go to use them... even if they do leak a little bit that can seal up with impurities especially if you have galv supply pipes as you'll have lots of impurities! Feb 27 at 6:34
  • 1
    For an example of the compression stop, @DanielM, take this description to your local big-box store and ask an employee in the plumbing section. She'll take you to the valves and help you find one. They're pretty common. A 1/4-turn ball valve is likely to be more reliable and less likely to fail over time than a multi-turn gate valve, but other than that, whatever you find will work.
    – FreeMan
    Feb 27 at 13:01
  • 4
    Start thinking about a repipe for the house… 60 year old galvanized supply pipes are past due. (And personally, I’d go to great lengths to not turn that old valve…) Feb 27 at 14:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.