I have a Baldwin front door lockset that doesn't completely retract the latch when using the thumb lever. The handleset is similar to this: model

enter image description here

After dismantling the thumb latch assembly, I discovered that the source of the problem is a broken tread/collar in the mechanism that the thumb lever pin rests in. I'd like to replace this piece, but I can't seem to find it in any of the online catalogues (build.com, handlesets.com, etc.). Any idea what it's called? The only reference to a part number on it is "05/02." I'd like to avoid replacing the entire lockset if possible.

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • That's probably a manufacturing date code (week 2 of 2005 or week 5 of 2002), not a part number.
    – Niall C.
    Jul 6, 2013 at 22:20
  • If you are or can convince them you are the original purchaser it may be covered under their lifetime warranty.
    – mikes
    Jul 7, 2013 at 1:56
  • 2
    I emailed the company and received a replacement part at no cost. For those interested, the part is officially called the "thumb lift assembly." Jul 12, 2013 at 12:33

3 Answers 3


From surfing a bit, it seems Baldwin has a variety of handlesets that work with a limited number of their locksets. If you can't buy just the plate, you might only need to buy the lockset.

It seems to be called a 'Landing Plate'



We’ve had two Baldwin handle sets fail on our new front door in the past six months, and I finally figured out why the manfacturer included a second landing plate with the set.

Basically they must have known it would fail prematurely.

The thumb latch is a lever that sits on a set of little pins set on a brass die casting, shown above, which allows it to toggle up and down. Unfortunately, brass die castings are about making things fast, and such parts typically have crappy structural performance and are prone to stress cracking.

What probably happened is that a tiny crack formed on one side of the casting and propagated every time we squeezed up and down on the handle. One side failed (red arrow) and our door handle starting twisting at an odd angle. Thankfully we replaced it with the second landing plate before we were locked out of the house.

After going through two sets, we bought a new set and discovered that designers finally figured out they needed to reinforce the casting for the load by reinforcing the area where the pin sets (right image).

  • A minor quibble about the quote: As someone who has repaired hundreds of locks and key cylinders, brass castings are actually the very best for a part like this. The one in the picture is electroplated with something yellow, but the casting itself is more likely zamac, which contains something like 3-5% copper. Brass is usually >60% copper, and is much, much, more durable, both structurally and for wear.
    – Conrado
    Sep 6, 2023 at 11:44

The part name isn't relevant at this point as Baldwin has re-engineered the part. If you have an older one call their tech support and explain the problem and they will send you a conversion kit that will fix the problem.

  • How much is the conversion kit?
    – user50486
    Feb 21, 2016 at 1:52

It’s called the Thumprint Cartridge

  • 2
    Hello, and welcome to Stack Exchange. The original poster found out that it's called a "Thumb Lift Assembly"; where did you get the name "Thumbprint Cartridge"? Mar 6, 2018 at 17:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.