My electrical service has a meter outside, followed immediately by a 200A breaker, then feeder wires head into my basement and supply a “main” panel with another 200a main breaker. This main panel has the ground and neutral bonded. My question is, should it? How would I know if the ground and neutral are bonded somewhere else outside?

There was a previous “main” panel inside that had no main breaker, just the feeder wires into the lugs, and that old panel did not have a bonded neutral/ground. I bought this house a year and a half ago and it had an electrical fire before I bought so I’m a little paranoid about that whole thing, and just want to make sure it’s good. enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 1
    Who is your electrical utility? Feb 15 at 2:44

1 Answer 1


In your case you can make the main breaker the inside panel. Label the outside disconnect according to NEC 230.85(3).


Now. Your old panel has a dog's breakfast of random breaker types, and your new panel has the exact same thing but much worse. This does not work. The various breakers are not interchangeable - they seem to fit, but they cause a bus stab burn-up and panel fire. And didn't you say that's why you replaced this panel?

And that 50A GFCI breaker at bottom left is just a disaster. It's a mismatch (looks like type MP / QP), it's not seated properly, and it looks like it's being pulled to the side. That's gotta be corrected, as well as all the other non-BR breakers.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.