I have a base that is 650mm deep. I'm going to have to glue several planks together to get this depth and, eventually, the last two to make the 650mm base. The problem is, I don't have (and can't see for sale) 650mm clamps to do this. As it's 2m long, I'd need quite a few clamps to do it.

Can anyone think of any alternatives?

  • I know of one company that makes an extender to connect two clamps to lengths like this: amazon.com/Bessey-KRX2440-Fixed-Parallel-Includes/dp/B001HSO6W2/…
    – Steven
    Jul 1, 2013 at 21:38
  • Thanks @Steven, the price is a tad out of my budget though.
    – BanksySan
    Jul 1, 2013 at 21:41
  • 1
    I think what you want is a "1000mm F-clamp" (or perhaps 750mm)
    – Craig
    Jul 1, 2013 at 23:10
  • @Craig Would this ebay item do the trick? I can see some on there that go up to over £300!
    – BanksySan
    Jul 1, 2013 at 23:15
  • If I correctly understand what you want to do, yes.
    – Craig
    Jul 1, 2013 at 23:20

3 Answers 3


If Bessey K style are not in the budget, Bessey H pipe end clamps are very economical, with new lengths available for the price of an iron (or steel) pipe.

enter image description here

Found these on Amazon UK

  • Chers, what is "Besser style", just triad searching for it and I'm not getting much to do with woodwork back.
    – BanksySan
    Jul 1, 2013 at 23:28
  • @BanksySan fixed some typos and added a link
    – HerrBag
    Jul 1, 2013 at 23:34
  • 1
    I've got similar ones: Jorgensen and Rockler. Both work well, and you can decide for yourself if it's worth having the "feet" for another $5/each. Don't forget you'll have to go buy the lengths of pipe separately.
    – Doresoom
    Jul 2, 2013 at 15:09
  • @doresroom I also have the Jorgensen's, but they didn't seem as available in UK as Bessey
    – HerrBag
    Jul 2, 2013 at 15:12
  • 1
    Another advantage to pipe clamps is that you can use couplings to combine several shorter pieces of pipe rather than having to buy the longest possible lengths you need for a given project. Gives more flexibility with lengths and is easier to store.
    – JayL
    Jul 2, 2013 at 23:53

What you're wanting are called "Sash clamps". Some people call them bar clamps.

Sash clamp

You can join them simply with a good PVA glue. But personally I prefer to dowel them as well for added strength. With this sort of length you'll want to put at least 3 clamps on the bottom and 2 on top to help keep it flat and wind it up tight to make a nice wide board.

The process looks something like this:


Edge gluing boards together

Make sure you put clamps on top because the pressure can cause the wood to bow out. Clamping from both sides prevents that bowing and keeps it nice and flat. Note the edge protector! that's important if you want a nice finish.

They come in different lengths usually around 1+ meters. They are probably around US$20 each.


I had a bunch of short hand-clamps but needed to clamp something much wider.

So I used pairs of clamps with a length of binding rope to achieve a similar effect. It wasn't as tight nor straight, but worked well enough.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.