I have 2 water barrels (one on each side of the garage). I'm trying to join both outlets (male) into 1 outlet for use with the garden hose. That way I can draw from both sides. Is there a way to accomplish that without bulkheads and pvc work / joins? Thank you

Edit: @isherwood: Completed solution (suggested by @crip659 & @Ecnerwal)enter image description here

  • Won't work with normal hoses, @crip659 - the splitter has one set of female threads and two sets of male threads.
    – Ecnerwal
    Jan 24 at 17:07
  • 1
    I'm unclear about the problem. Hose connections are trivial. What challenge are you facing? Please revise to be more specific about your hardware, proximity, etc. Photos would be great.
    – isherwood
    Jan 24 at 17:26
  • 2
    @Ecnerwal A knife and a few hose repair kits takes care of that problem.
    – crip659
    Jan 24 at 17:28
  • Do both barrels have a hose bib as the drain source? Can you indeed hook a hose to these male outlets? Or is the thread something other than hose thread?
    – RMDman
    Jan 24 at 19:16
  • Please post a photo of the barrels and the setup. But I suspect it will be difficult without going across the garage at the floor level. Jan 24 at 20:30

2 Answers 2


As a quick, crude, kludge; a splitter as mentioned by @crip659, but threaded onto one of the male hose ends, and a washing machine hose (2 female hose ends) joined to the other male hose end and one (normally output) side of the splitter. Your output hose to the other male hose end of the splitter.

  • @isherwood: I have 2 rain barrels - both outputs are male. I'm trying to combine / join both outputs to 1 single garden hose output. I'm trying to avoid PVC piping because I want to able to disconnect after use. What crip659 and Ecnerwal suggested was using a 1 inlet (female) and 2 outlet (both male) Y garden splitter. Connect the splitter input (female) to one of the rain barrels male output. Use hose repair kits (female) or washing machine hose (female) to connect to one of the outputs on the splitter. Connect the garden hose to the other outputs of the splitter to garden hose like normal.
    – Student
    Jan 24 at 17:42

Amazon appears to sell this device: https://www.amazon.com/Washing-Machine-Fittings-Machines-Outdoor/dp/B0B6FXM79G

They list it for $15. But there are also "barb" y-fittings intended for 3/4" hose for much less. So, depending on your local big box hardware supplier, you might be able to beat the price, especially if you already have some junk hose ends laying about.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.