I have a new HVAC system in a closet where the blower plugs into a socket, which is how the old one was setup. Inspector says the plug is no good, it has to be wired in. So, it's a 2 gang plastic box, Plastic faceplate, and currently has a switch alongside duplex sockets which the switch controls (110 v, 20amp circuit). Power cord is plastic insulated 16/2 w/ ground. Location is Texas (owner, homestead).

My first thought is to just cut off the plug, cut a notch in the faceplate, feed the cable in and wire it to the switch while separating the switch and sockets, and then just secure the cable to the wall.

Option 2 is replace the duplex sockets with a switch/socket combo and cut the faceplate's switch slot bigger to accommodate a standard 3/8 connector. But can a metal connector be used on a plastic faceplate? Does modifying a faceplate automatically break code? Do they make a 2g duplex/punch-out faceplate?

Option 3. (Don't really want to go this far) Rip out the plastic box and replace it with a metal box and metal faceplate using option 2's configuration.

3b. Also replace the plug and cable with conduit, using a 90 degree connector at the box.

Will any of these options likely work, or is there a best way to do this I'm missing?

Note: I'll likely go down to city hall and talk to someone to make sure the plan meets code (may even need a separate permit). I'd just like to have a solid plan first.

  • Conduit plus duplex outlet covers are readily available. Use flex conduit to the blower.
    – Jon Custer
    Dec 2, 2023 at 2:57
  • 1
    Please post a picture of the plug end, and the specs for the unit Dec 2, 2023 at 3:11
  • 1
    What code is the inspector citing to say that the blower cannot be cord & plug connected? Dec 2, 2023 at 4:08


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.